Barn fire caused by lightning

Pat Adams of rural Motley happened to come home from work early on Aug. 4; and when he went to open his barn door, was met by clouds of smoke. Adams called 911 and it wasn’t long before the Motley Fire Department and Staples Fire Department were at the scene to put out the fire. It is believed that lightning from the severe thunderstorm struck some wires in the barn. “I got home around 11 a.m. this morning,” Adams said. “One of the firefighters told me that if it had been another half hour or so, the entire barn would have been in flames.” Adams said he is grateful for the services of both the Motley and Staples fire departments. “I can’t thank them enough for all they do,” he said. (Staples World photo by Dawn Timbs)


Staples World

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 100 Staples, MN 56479 Telephone: (218) 894-1112 - Fax: (218) 894-3570 Toll Free: 1-888-894-1112 E Mail:

Sign Up For Breaking News

Stay informed on our latest news!

Manage my subscriptions

Subscribe to Breaking News feed